Wednesday, January 30, 2008

NINE DAYS TO GO TO GENERAL ELECTIONS IN BELIZE

It is loud and it is clear. The last time I wrote about the upcoming election I was saying that the reds had the town covered in their propaganda. Well, let me make a change today and say the blues have now come along and done their thing! Each lightpost now has a blue where there is a red and the flapping of the flags at night as the breeze blow in from the bay is distracting me indoors.

I am still looking forward to the day when elections will be all over and we can get back to the business of the day - our lives as calmly and happy as we can.

A student told me tonight that he thought there would be some deaths after the election votes were counted. I am sadden by this thought and I hope we can see the elections go by without bloodshed.

While all this is going on and while everyone rushes off to try to get a piece of the campaign pie, I am still worried that we have not understood nor will we ever, that this land we call home is one of the few places in the world were freedom and the power to do just as we please is still alive. I don't expect that to change but I do hope that we are able to appreciate the freedom we have.

So, Belizeans, as you prepare to head off to the polls on Feb 7, remember that this country was built not by blood but by the sweat of many who tolied the land from dawn until dusk. Remember that we were once slaves but now are free. We were once a colony but on we are an independent country. We are BELIZEANS. A PROUD PEOPLE, WITH A PROUD PAST AND THE POSSIBILITY OF HAVING A PROUD FUTURE IS IN OUR HANDS.

At the end of the day we must be able to remember that this land is our home and we MUST work hard to keep it free and safe. We must work hard to make this jewel as priceless as we can.

LET US BUILD A BETTER BELIZE TOGETHER. LET US SEE WHAT THERE IS TO SEE IN LIFE AND IN OUR COUNTRY. WE OWE IT TO OURSELVES. WE OWE IT TO OUR CHILDREN.

No comments: